The award memorializes Catherine Craig-Erhardt, who joined Excelsior College in 1980 and who served as the College’s liaison with the military services from 1984 until her untimely death in 1986. The award recognizes and commemorates her commitment to helping military service members attain their educational goals.
The honoree receives a certificate and monetary award, and if attending our July commencement ceremonies they also receive a complimentary one-night stay at the Renaissance Hotel, and recognition at an awards ceremony given in their honor.
- Nominees must be members of the current year’s Excelsior College graduating class.
- Active-duty servicemembers, National Guard members, or Reservists are eligible.
- Veterans who were on active duty during most of the period of enrollment in Excelsior College are eligible.
- Service to others including voluntary or paid service to others beyond the normal expectations of the nominee’s job. This service may be demonstrated in the military, civilian, or community setting.
- Commitment to education including the nominee’s commitment to his or her own education, persistence in the face of barriers to education, and the nominee’s commitment to the education of others.
- Academic achievement within the context of Excelsior College Degrees, awards or scholarships received as well as evidence of further study such as admission to graduate school or earning a higher degree.
- Professional and personal achievement including any accolades for professional advancement within the military as well as any evidence of exemplary promotion. Community service related awards or work will also be considered.
All nominations and supporting documents must be received by April 6, 2018.
Servicemembers may be nominated by an education service officer or counselor, a commanding officer, a military peer, an Excelsior College staff member, or themselves. Nominations must include:
Letter of nomination to include the following information about the nominee:
- Name, rank, and military branch
- Address and telephone numbers
- Date and type of Excelsior College degree earned or to be earned
- Military occupation
- Length of military service
- Activities or accomplishments related to each of the selection criteria
- Statement on how the earned Excelsior College degree will help or has helped the nominee
- Reason for nomination
Send nomination and recommendation letters to:
Catherine Craig-Erhardt Memorial Award Committee
c/o Center for Military and Veteran Education
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, NY 12203-5159